Senior batsman had criticised Pakistan selectors
Disgruntled batsman Younis Khan will not be penalised by the Pakistan Cricket Board for criticising the selectors after being dropped from the one-day international series against Australia.
“For the moment, we will not take any disciplinary action against him, and hope he will settle down now,” PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan said in a statement.
“I will definitely meet him in the near future and hear out his grievances, but as of now the selectors have finalised the team for the one-day series against Australia.”
Younis, who has scored more than 7,000 runs in 254 ODIs, was dropped last week, and railed against the selectors’ belief that veterans like him should make way for new blood: “What should players like us do? Should we shoot ourselves?” he asked.
He also threatened to be unavailable for the Test team until after the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup, which he was keen to be a part of in February and March.
“We have a lot of respect for Younis Khan because he is a very senior player,” Shaharyar Khan said.
“After his initial statement in the media, our international cricket department did send him a letter inquiring whether those reports were true. Our international cricket director also spoke to him on the phone.”
After 17 months out of the ODI team, Younis was picked last month for the first ODI in Sri Lanka, scored three, then returned home due to the death of his nephew.
The first of three one-dayers against Australia is next Tuesday in the United Arab Emirates. There’s a one-off Twenty20 on Sunday.
After the ODI series, both teams will compete in a two-Test series.